The Benefits of Rendering a House, Improving Aesthetics and Protecting Your Home
The exterior of a property plays a significant role in its overall appeal. That’s why many homeowners choose to render their houses. However, rendering offers more than just aesthetic enhancements. It can also provide protection for the exterior of your home.
Understanding Different Types of Render
Rendering involves applying a layer of material to the external walls of a building. There are various types of render available, each with its own unique characteristics and suitability for different types of properties. Let’s explore some of the most popular options:
- Cement Render: This is a cost-effective option that provides a smooth finish. However, it is not suitable for older buildings with solid walls, as it is prone to cracking and requires regular maintenance.
- Lime Render: More expensive than cement render, lime render is commonly used on traditional timber-framed homes. It is ideal for properties that are damp or require increased airflow.
- Silicone Render: Silicone renders offer low maintenance, longevity, and crack resistance. They are lightweight, breathable, and available in various colours. They can even be installed with exterior insulation.
- Monocouche Render: This cement-based render has colour embedded within it, eliminating the need for painting. It can be applied to most brickwork, stonework, and masonry constructions. Monocouche render combines the flexibility of traditional lime render with low maintenance.
- Acrylic Render: This type of render incorporates an acrylic resin to enhance water resistance and flexibility. It comes in different colours but is the least breathable option.
- Cork-based Render: A relatively new and eco-friendly material, cork-based render is suitable for brick and cavity walls. It is also resistant to sea salt, making it ideal for coastal properties. Cork render offers durability, noise reduction qualities, and a lower carbon footprint.
Choosing the Right Render for Your Property
When selecting the appropriate render for your property, factors such as the type of construction, location, and exposure to extreme weather conditions should be considered. It’s crucial to identify any existing defects and assess the condition of your walls before rendering. Seeking advice from a chartered building surveyor or professional with expertise in renders can ensure proper decision-making.
Benefits of Rendering
- Improved Appearance: Rendering can significantly enhance the external appearance of your home, providing a fresh and modern look.
- Waterproofing: Render acts as a protective barrier against water penetration, preventing damage caused by moisture.
- Weather Resistance: Different renders offer varying degrees of weather resistance, which is particularly important in areas exposed to harsh weather conditions.
- Increased Durability: Render can improve the durability of your walls by protecting them from wear and tear over time.
- Energy Efficiency: Some renders, such as cork-based renderings, offer insulation properties that can improve energy efficiency and reduce heat loss.
Mixing Materials and Planning Considerations
Mixing different materials, such as render and timber cladding, has become a popular trend in house exteriors. However, it’s essential to consider the added cost and ensure proper installation order and clean junctions between materials.
Before rendering your house, it’s crucial to understand whether planning permission is required or if building regulations need to be followed. Conservation areas or properties listed as historic buildings may have specific requirements regarding the choice of render colour or material.
Professional Rendering and Maintenance
Rendering is best left to professionals with experience in proper application techniques. It requires careful attention to detail to achieve a high-quality finish. Hiring professionals also ensure compliance with building regulations, particularly when incorporating thermal insulation.
Regular maintenance is necessary to keep rendered walls in good condition. While rendering can enhance the value of your home by improving its appearance and condition, it’s important to consider factors such as existing brickwork quality and overall architectural harmony.
In conclusion, rendering your house offers numerous benefits beyond aesthetics by providing protection against weather elements and improving durability. Choosing the right type of render for your property and seeking professional advice ensures optimal results. Remember to consider planning requirements, mix materials thoughtfully, and maintain the rendered surfaces to enjoy long-lasting benefits from this exterior enhancement.
Matrix Structures is proud to utilise ATLAS rendering products on our construction projects.
ATLAS Group offers a wide range of construction products to meet various construction needs. While specific details about their product line are not mentioned in the provided information, as a manufacturer of construction structures, ATLAS Group provides products such as adhesives, sealants, mortars, grouts, waterproofing solutions, and rendering products.
Their rendering products, in particular, are known for their quality and reliability. These products are used in the process of applying a protective and decorative layer to the exterior of buildings. ATLAS rendering products are designed to provide durability, weather resistance, and aesthetic appeal to structures. By utilizing these products from ATLAS Group, Matrix Structures can ensure that their projects receive top-notch rendering solutions.